A potential government leak to the Daily Mail says the long-awaited Rental Reform White Paper could be unveiled today.
The Mail says it will contain look to introduce some radical measures, which include:
- tenants to have the legal right to have pets in their properties with landlords having limited powers to refuse
- tenants to have the power to appeal against landlord or agent refusal on keeping pets;
- tenants may be expected to get appropriate pet-damage insurance;
- as expected, the Decent Homes Standard (currently applied only to social housing) will be extended to the private rental sector;
- Section 21 eviction powers for landlords and their representatives will be scrapped;
- Section 8 eviction powers will also be revised.
Even if the White Paper - originally pledged in 2019 - is indeed introduced today, it is likely that consultations and changes will take over a year. It would certainly be good news for any tenants with pets.